Monday, October 31, 2011

Bog's Room 2: with characters

This is the finished piece from the same project, we had to work in a group to come up with a movie idea- plot, characters and some beat boards to show characters interacting in their environment. Mine includes an angry Bog, Cammie (my group's main character) and her companion, Oote, the owl.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Project Ron Saks: update for Oct. 27

Sooo... after a general feeling of disinterest had crept over me regarding my animatic (it was, in general, too static), I went through a massive overhaul of the story:

That was the scene last Thursday evening in my work room. I hung a bunch of sheets on the wall and re-drew my entire piece with the help of my lovely wife (who added invaluable suggestions).

I then thumbnailed it out in my sketchbook, then went to Charlotte for help with one final iteration of the thumbnails.

The good news is that I finally feel like I have a piece with enough movement and comedic punch to satisfy me, the bad news is that the following animatic and storyboard pdf are not quite finished (but they do cover about half the piece).

Here is the link to the pdf:

And here is the animatic:


This is a preview of tonight's character design class. We had a group project, there were seven of us and each of us had to develop a character from a story we created together. My character is the "physical threat". He is a weary man by day, but that is not his true self.

Monday, October 24, 2011 SOUNDS

Latest animation. Sadly, not totally done. But still happy with it.'

Oh, yeah. Please watch all the way through...because it disappears for a few seconds in the middle there, but there is more at the end!!

Thursday, October 20, 2011


Did these at the Ballet Met yesterday. Just posted them on my Cafe Sketch blog, but I was really happy with them so I'm posting them here too.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Project Ron Saks update!

So, this time I planned ahead further and got a Quicktime movie exported of my animatic. Soooo ... here it is:

Dropping in the sketch bomb!

Most of these are from my cafe sketch class, but I thought I'd share them:

Tuesday, October 18, 2011


Another character design assignment. five emotions, five different expressions of each = a LOT of heads.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Hordak Wins!

Our character design homework over the weekend was to take a "published" character and re-work them in a style of our choosing. I chose Hordak, the main bad guy from the Shira cartoons of the 1980's. And since the bad guy never wins, I figured Hordak 3000 would finally get the victory - notice the trophy hanging from his belt.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

More heads!

This is from character design class. I would love any feedback on the way I colored these, it's something new I'm playing with.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Project Saks: update no. 2

So, this is an opportunity to show some of those "ninja art skills" that Charlotte is always encouraging. I was down on campus and meant to upload my storyboard for class only to discover that I left my flash drive, and subsequently all the necessary files I needed, at home. So.... luckily I have (not that I have returned home) jpgs of all my individual scenes. It's not the exact same as a storyboard, but it's kinda close.

There is an opening sequence before this particular scene, but I started here because its the first scene involving the characters:

Monday, October 10, 2011

Lots of Heads

This is our most recent homework in character design: we had to create 12 variations of a character, then select one and do three different styles of it. I am most happy with the bottom, center guy.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

B/W Concept for Greenhorns

I worked in the computer labs for a long time today and didn't get a whole lot to show for it ... other than this, a black and white concept piece showing the environment for my animation short about the two hunters. Im pretty happy with it and hope it will get me going in the right direction!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Project Ron Saks .... forward progress

Ok, so this may not look like a lot of progress, but it is, it sooo is. My project will consist of a storyboard for the short animated piece about the hunters, but before I could even go into that I felt a serious need to re-evaluate my characters in order to make them more "moveable" and interesting. So the following document my last 2 days of pain until finally coming across a new Tom The Hunter.

And, finally, I think I have found the new "fat" hunter... he's the one I colored in. I think he will be more interesting when he "moves". Plus, I'm working on my script and considering how the two hunters personalities will vary, Tom here may end up being a sort of peaceful giant so the small hands and concerned expression are beginning to mirror that physically. Lemme know what you guys think.

Monday, October 3, 2011


This is our current project for character design class. A hero, villain and the comic relief.